View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
sainos,
Yes, very true...AVRT is based on strategies/methods of the self-recovered. There are untold numbers of people who've employed a variation of this method and never speak about it. Makes sense, since most self-recovered view "recovery" as a very private matter. Because of that, it's hard to get data or information from that population.

The grave concern that I have with the recovery movement as it stands today (in the US at least) is that so many recoveryisms are taken as fact. The idea that one simply *cannot* end their addiction if they don't publicly label themselves an alcoholic is false. This leads many who are on a good path to doubt themselves, to fall back and allow the beast to take over...all because they don't understand the method of separation. Treating the addicted as if they are idiots, cannot think for themselves, or follow a plan without the help of others (or a higher power) send the message loud and clear "Do not believe in yourself. You are not capable." That concerns me a great deal.