View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

I too struggled with negative thinking and with making negative predictions in early sobriety. It was a way of life for me. It's also among the most painful, destructive and frightening things I've ever done to myself, and it took me a long time and a lot of work for me to unlearn that way of being in the world. Like you, it was helpful to focus on my strengths and to stop repeatedly going over my assumed weaknesses. In the end, it's our strength that pulls us through, even when we're not aware that we have it.

My saving grace was bringing supportive people into my life, something that I'm not always good at doing. Each time we decline help or support from other people, we're denying them an opportunity to experience the benefits inherent in reaching out to others. And that's something that just shouldn't happen, regardless of any dubious or unhelpful convictions we might carry around preserving our independence by walking away from the help that's available. Let that be someone else's fantasy. I would even go so far as to say that it's our responsibility to accept help whenever the help we need is offered.