View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
mirage

Aw, I'm sorry, Lofty. I was impressed with your introspection about it, though.

The key is to ask those questions when your'e feeling the urge. When I read, "I had already decided we would all do a shot of whiskey and have a beer. " I thought "STOP! Right there, THAT'S when you ask yourself your list of questions". Why are you giving yourself permission?, etc. THAT'S when you come here and ask for help. As soon as your addiction tells you it's ok to do a shot and a beer, THAT'S when you reach out and when you need to see that that is Addiction talking. It's not a rational choice, it's Addiction. It's your comfort zone, it's natural. We get it, we get why it happens. You have to beat it at it's own game. Identify it, picture it someone trying to get you to do something you don't want to do. That's why I capitalized it, it's like a person, a proper noun. Say NO to it. Change the plan. That's how you get stronger and that's how you beat it and that's how you form new habits. We're breaking habits and forming new ones. Our brains want us to stay in old, comfortable habits. It can be torturous to not engage in those habits. It's soooo effing HARD to not drink sometimes, but we must. Our happiness depends on it.