Thread: I am so sad
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Mystary View Post
Thanks for all the support. Yes I do need to figure out how to cope without drinking. When something bad happens I always want to be left alone. I don't want to talk about it to anyone until I get myself emotionally together. That can take days, weeks or months depending what happened. So I regress into my own little world and I drink.
Yes. It's all very well stopping drinking. Dealing with the Alcohol Drinking. But the real work starts in 'Recovery ' because that's when we start to turn around out Alcoholic THINKING. The way we deal with life. When we're celebrating, bored, tired, depressed or heartbroken. Learning to deal with life on life's terms sober and sane is the crux of it. This, for me, is what AA is all about. Presumably people who use other recovery groups and resources will say the same. I'd recommend a couple of little books that I found to be full of wisdom in this regard. One is the AA book called Living Sober (you can buy it via Amazon) and the other is Monkey On My Shoulder, which I believe I also got via Amazon. Can't remember who that was by, but I don't suppose there are many books with that title lol.

It might be worth reading through Dee's links about making a plan (even if you've read them before) and think about what could be added to help you add more tools to your sober toolkit. Also maybe look through your original plan and see if any of your strategies have gone by the wayside as sometimes they're apt to do when things are jogging along okay for a bit.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Anyway. So so sorry about your other dog. It must have been terrible - more terrible than a couple of hours hiding under some alcohol can fix. Honestly, it really doesn't make anything better . It just gives us a blanket to hide under for a little while, then we have to come out and face it anyway.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB.