View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Bulgakova View Post
I have looked into AVRT, and as much as I do like it, I personally think that their take on science is a little outdated. It deals with a more old school of thinking, where they were more compartmentalized in areas of study.
It was Trimpey's intention to simplify things with AVRT, and avoid as much scientific confusion as possible. This is why the structural model is simple -- so that addicted people don't get lost in complexity. He is explicitly rejecting the "diseased, hijacked brain" model, and explaining addiction instead as an adaptation, albeit a destructive one, by a healthy brain.

That said, he also predicted that others would eventually 'discover' AVRT, and indeed they have. I recently watched the film "Pleasure Unwoven" by Dr. Kevin McCauley, and he basically says the same thing -- that the old base brain confuses the deep pleasure produced by hedonic drugs with a primary survival mandate.

This film is part of the ATI, and caters to the RGM, so Dr. McCauley, himself 'in recovery', concludes that the base brain is 'hijacked' by drugs, and that the power of choice is rendered null and void by the hijacked brain (aka, the Beast). Therefore, he concludes that addiction is a disease, and that addicts have to manage their sobriety, one-day-at-a-time.

Ultimately, for the purposes of AVRT, it doesn't really matter what the source of the Addictive Voice is, however. It could be Satan himself urging addicted people to get drunk with sweet nothings, and AVRT would still work just as well. AVRT is just the addict's missing moral conscience as it pertains to the use of alcohol and other drugs.