View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

I'm an intrinsically oriented person, so for me, there was choice at the core of breaking free of the addiction cycle.

For others who are more extrinsically oriented, it could be that they experience recovery from addiction fundamentally differently, and the way out would come from 'outside' of themselves, a power greater, and so on.

Personally, I don't see either approach or orientation as better or more effective or more desirable.

To answer the OP, though, I see addiction as addiction. Addiction can't be compared to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, anxiety disorder, or anything else. It's addiction. And we can get lost in the piles of information published.

I do believe some are more disposed to being addicts, yes. Lots of published info on this out there to be read.

Finding the way out of your own addiction is what's important, whether that's by reaching outside yourself for help (to others or to a higher power), finding your own personal freedom and power of choice within, or a combination of both (I did this, but am mostly intrinsically motivated); this is paramount, imo.