View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

We dance around the fact that alcohol consumption is something we have to consciously control. If we didn't have a problem with it... I don't know that we would even be here talking about it. Normal people can go out, have a drink, or a few drinks, and not really think about it before, during, or after. They don't have to control it, they don't have to dissect it.

My best friend in recovery tells this story all the time.. he was a at a party and everyone was drinking and having a good time and eventually they ran out of mixers and decided that the party was over. My friend, the alcoholic, was totally baffled, and angry, that the other people could just decide drinking was done, that casually. In his mind this made absolutely no sense, because there was still alcohol left, and he has to keep drinking til he passes out or runs out of alcohol.

Is drinking part of the experience or activity, or is it the activity itself? Sitting down at night and saying "Okay, six drinks only tonight" is not allowing drinking to be a part of your plans for the night, it is your whole plan for the night.