View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
kopfan

Evening Everyone!

Another Sober Sunday Morning coming up. I love those. I love working in my office at 6am when everyone else is asleep.

When I took the dogs for a walk today that old AV started piping up about how you shouldn't give up drinking forever as it "wasn't right" in some way.

For the first time since I stopped I can honestly say I'm happier without drink. I often think of having "a beer", but going back to all that drama seems, well...... unappealing.

I think in some way my past has caught up with me. I did all that "all day drinking" stuff years ago. It seems laughable that I would get in a minibus with fifteen other lads and head off to another city to sit in a different pub.

Drinking all day Sundays, drinking when the football was on, drinking, drinking drinking.

I'm coming to terms with my "not drinking". It seems that a lot of my similar age group have also realised the damage they were doing to their lives.

Steve Earle, Tom Waits!!, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Paul Weller, John Thompson (Cold Feet), Clapton, Bowie (RIP), Chris Martin (Coldplay) all sober. It seems whenever I look someone up these days they are sober.

The most bizarre one of all for me was Tom Waits because I fell in love with his bar room blues and I'd often spend entire evenings with his music and beer and Jack Daniels.

To then find out he's been sober after I imagined him sitting on his porch drinking bourbon for the last 20 years was a real shock.

I'm content being sober. And if it's good enough for the likes of Weller, Waits and Steve Earle then it's going to be good enough for me.

Have a great Sunday everyone!