View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Delizadee

I ended off my last relapse controlling my drinking fairly well. Less than 6 drinks a night and the occasional binge (more than 6 drinks)

3 months ago I was in a massive binge that led to me ending up in hospital due to an overdose.
Not to relate to your situation specifically, but we easily minimize our drinking if we have a drinking problem. It was crazy to me that I had narrowly escaped death and yet I continued to drink and justify it.
And my mind was consumed with thinking of how to control drinking. Although I couldn't admit that to myself. It's like having blinders on.

I agree on a couple things in this thread- 6 drinks a night is not moderate drinking. And if you really want to experiment with controlled drinking, as was said before- why don't you try abstinence for 30 days? This is ALSO controlling your drinking. And it makes a lot more sense to me if you want to prove to yourself that you can continue on in a healthy manner.
But, you are using alcohol to self-medicate, admittedly.
And binge drinking most nights. And being defensive and rationalizing your drinking.

I think most of us have been there, and that's all we're trying to say. I hope possibly you are able to recognize it for what it very well could be.
Also agree with looking into Moderation Management if that is your goal.
Hams has a website that discusses this.
And I agree with Scott that this is a Sober Recovery forum, and touting moderation management is kind of like dangling a carrot in front of a lot of alcoholics, but your questions are valid ones.
Also, it speaks volumes when someone winds up posting on a Sober Recovery forum asking about moderation management.
Been there my friend. As have many of us.

I hope you have no negative outcomes regardless of what you choose, I truly do hope your choices help you to maintain a healthy lifestyle and that you are able to manage your pain and enjoy life.