Thread: Honesty
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

As far as honesty about who you are versus who you were.. There are some people out there who just don't drink. They don't like it. They just never think about it. For all intents and purposes, that's how it is for us, when we meet new people now. Because if we're in recovery, our addiction is in our past.We truly don't have to reveal that to anyone, it is none of their business. They can and will judge us. We have to protect our hearts, too. Everyone has a past, myself included, but the past is passed. What good can come of telling the man I may one day marry that I was once an addict. He's going to meet the really great person I am without that addiction, and fall in love with her, but if I tell him that I once was an addict, he's going to think "Well, she had a problem once, it could come back... should I drink around her... should I have alcohol in the house... will she lie, will she steal, will she hurt me...?" If I'm being honest, all of that could potentially happen, I could relapse and ruin our marriage and ruin his life. I don't need to tell anyone that I was once a person with a bad drinking problem, because they will not trust me. I just don't do it as a matter of preference now.