View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
aussie89

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome Mark. I'm glad you realize alcohol is a probem and are seeking help. Having said that, controlled or moderated drinking is not a possibility for an alcoholic. And I'd add that drinking 6 drinks at a setting even on one isolated day is considered binge drinking. Doing so every day could be catastrophic for your health, both mental and physical.

Our forum is dedicated to sobriety and you are always welcome, but we cannot condone or support drinking of any amount
Thank you for your replies everyone.

I had read that to stop cold turkey after drinking everyday can trigger seizures and rarely lethal withdrawal symptoms. This was my reason for cutting down from 12 to 6 (half what I normally drink).

I don't quite understand what people mean when they say they drink to get to 'that place' - is it different for everybody?

I had no idea that 6 drinks was considred binge drinking? I would hate to think that I was binge drinking last night. In Australia a typical beer has 1.5 drinks, does that mean that my brother who has 4 bottles of beer (6 drinks) is a binge drinker?

I'm just really surprised because I thought binge drinkers were those people on the weekend who are falling over themselves and vomitting - I had no idea it was so close to home.

So what is the recommended number of drinks or is it basically as bad as cocaine or heroin? I can't understand why the Government would allow the sale of six packs of beer (let alone cartons).

It has been just over 24 hours since I joined this forum and I already hate alcohol and myself for binge drinking - here I was worried about eating right, adding an extra few kms to my daily run and quitting smoking lol.