Thread: Networking
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I need to do this all the time as well. Are you newly sober? If so, and if you feel insecure and triggered in those situations, perhaps a little sacrifice would be worth it... cut some of those events. For example, go to the dinner but not the bar. If you have people you particularly want to talk with, set up a coffee meeting or just a discussion without any drinks/meal involved -- I do this very often, also my preferred way of meeting people (one on one). Of course it is not the same as the more diffuse and open way of networking in groups.

The other strategy I use, not just because of the drinking but also because I have personal limits to how much non-specific socializing I enjoy, is to go to the events, participate actively (in terms of conversation) as much as I can for a while, then leave before it gets overwhelming. No need for excuse, I just politely say I am retiring for the evening. People in my professional settings very very rarely comment on this or ask why I am not staying later because when I am there, I do get involved in the interactions. With time, I've found that my closest professional circuits get to know my style and I don't get invited to events that are just parties for the sake of partying at least but get a lot of invitations when the primary reason of meeting is work / setting up and cultivating collaborations. I kinda like this because over time, it's created a professional image that I have clear and strong boundaries but am very approachable as far as work goes. I used to mix and match my professional and personal life sometimes in really complicated ways when I was younger (also drinking) and this now simplifies things for me in many ways.

I have personally also noticed sober that the people I tend to respect the most and am interested in networking with are rarely party animals or social butterflies in particular.

And, of course, there is always the option of having non-alcoholic drinks or not even having drinks at all, just hanging out... I think we alcoholics are the ones preoccupied with drinking or not drinking, the rest of the world does not care nearly as much.