View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MattM316
Matt M

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
You don't need alcohol to enjoy your interests or your life. You never have and you never will. You need alcohol because you need alcohol.

I agree.
What tends to happen with me is that I'll go weeks without touching any kind of alcohol and don't miss it.
Then as soon as I have money in my pocket I think it'll be a great idea to get some alcohol because 'i'm sure it'll be ok'.
It's that mindset that gets me every time and I still can't seem to control it.

But because of my past involving withdrawal seizures, my tolerance isn't what it used to be and I tend to get nasty withdrawals now which last up to three days - so that's three nights of no sleep, no food, severe anxiety, shakes etc.

Job wise, my first job I was at for 15 years. Since then I've had short term jobs and even tho they were not aware of any alcohol issues, I left them all because I just had to take time off due to alcohol, so regardless of whether they knew, it was all alcohol related.

I think my next step is to start going to meetings again.
The friend I mentioned earlier is someone I only really started talking to properly a few months ago and I never even realised how bad her problem was.
She goes to weekly meetings so when she's out of detox I want to start going with her.

What I don't understand tho, and maybe someone can enlighten me, is that her detox is two weeks in some kind of facility.
When I was in hospital after withdrawal seizures, I was only in there for three days and presumably in that time they were detoxing me too. So I'm not sure why the vast difference in times?