View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
...the patient relatively quickly thereafter reports that she's "feeling" much better and therefore needs to rethink whether or not she needs therapy. Or that she can work on things on her own, now that she's figured out what the problem is.
That's the kind of thing that I am currently going through, "feeling I can work on things on my own, now that I've figured out what the problem is".

I know for a fact that I have made a lot of progress. Not so much because I have a lot of calendar time abstinent, but because I have not thought about drinking or not-drinking in a long, long time. I don't think it is delusional to say "I have recovered".

But then again, I also know for sure that "working on things on my own" is delusional. While I don't think I need any particular program, group or fellowship... I know I need some person, group or cause higher/wider/more universal than myself. I doubt that I could truly work on my own for long periods of time.

When Buddha said;

“Therefore, Ananda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.”

He did not mean do-it-yourself. Buddha did not believe in individual self (Atman) but rather he believed in universal self (Dhamma).