View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I am not saying "We must suffer to get well" (although it is one of the 4 paradox's mentioned in "The Professor and the Paradox" story from the Big Book 2nd Edition). When I used the word "TOO" in too much", I was using it as defined in a dictionary;

to a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively.

We often talk about balance or maintaining a "right sized ego" in recovery. I have to admit that when I first saw people brag about how well they were doing in recovery, I applauded them. However, after seeing several of them relapse shortly after their "Mission Accomplished" proclamations, I started thinking to myself "Oh No - there goes the neighborhood". Many old-timers warned me of the same thing... "To much speed makes the train bounce off the track".

I know a lot of you here think that I am jumping to conclusions. I myself would have taken your side before I saw it happen with my own eyes several times in row. However, pattern recognition is something I was trained to look for in both my science classes and my Quality Control jobs. It takes long-term experience to recognize patterns that only occur once or twice a year.

I have thought long and hard about leaving ALL recovery fellowships due to too much negative feedback from short-sighted people and nay-sayers who think my caveats are superfluous. The #1 thing that keeps me connected with recovery groups is to gain more ability to recognize and avoid traps that I do not YET know about. Somethings can simply never be discerned without many years of honest fellowship sharing and hundreds of iterations of pattern recognition.
The longer we are sober and the more successes and failures we see the more I trust my gut instincts about people. You can see it in their face and body language. It is what they say and don't say.

I certainly not always right but unfortunately I am right too often.

Anyone in recovery is well advised to follow the advice of old timers. I have multiple people in my life that have 20+ years and I take very seriously what the have to say