View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Jessica....it doesn't matter where he drinks. The body's nervous system (brain) and liver don't ask where the alcohol was consumed....

In a marriage, there is no such thing as "rocking the boat" (in my opinion). If you are concerned that you have to walk on eggshells about anything....you already have a basic problem with the boat.
A close and healthy relationship requires us to be willing to be open and transparent with each other...to be willing to be vulnerable and trust our soft underbelly with each other. This, of course, requires a basic trust of each other.
This applies to both..not just one.

The very fact that you are on a forum asking for help (the right thing to do)...indicates that it is a problem for YOU!. The fact that y ou can share your fears with total strangers...yet, not with him...indicates that there is a problem of communication, already.
Problems that are not addressed in the light of day, go underground and fester, until, one day they erupt and spew the toxins all around.
If they cannot be discussed now, then they just become even harder to discuss down the road.

to answer your question...that he answered "yes"....is that a typical admission?...My answer is that some people do and some people don't.
He may secretly realize that he has a "problem" with alcohol....and, may or may not be willing to face it and address it.
Only he knows that. We can't tell you where he is at with all of this.
You sure could ask him, though.

It is my belief, that, when there is an issue in a marriage...that both parties need to put all the cards out on the table. All the cards.
This is done by putting all of your fears, concerns, needs and desires on the table. Total personal honesty.
That is where the process has to begin.....Then, there are no secrets and hidden fears...no walking on eggshells out of fear of "rocking the boat"....

As you learn more about alcoholism, you will learn that nothing you say or do will cause an alcoholic to drink. An alcoholic drinks because they are alcoholics, at baseline. They can make all manner of excuses and blame lots of circumstances (they usually do)...but, the fact still remains that alcoholics drink because that is what they do to cope with life and their feelings (good and bad feelings).

You say that you are fulfilled in all respects, but, I can see that you are very worried..and, I will bet the kid's milk money that this is lurking in the back of your mind...a grey cloud that interrupts your serenity and peace of mind....
It is my suggestion that it is better to face it now, before the grey cloud turns into a thundercloud....

Now, I imagine that you are a bit chagrined that I am speaking to you so candidly. You came for help, and I feel that you deserve nothing less than the truth of my (our) experience.
If anything that I have shared helps, good. Just take what works and leave the rest....