Old 10-11-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by WheninRome View Post
To be completely honest, I am a bit jealous of him and that he is still drinking. I really did not want this to be a problem for me. I fought so hard, and fought relentlessly to change my drinking. I simply could not. I am jealous that he had a problem, and it seems like he has changed what I could not. While I appreciate the many joys that sobriety brings, there still is a part of me that wishes I could just be a normal person, and normal people don't have drinking problems. Ultimately, I will need to learn to get over this insecurity. Not all wants/needs/thoughts/desires are worth having, and wanting to drink "normally" is certainly not a desire worth having.
That's a very good realization to make, and it shows that you are making progress in your sober life/sober thinking. There is certainly an "unfairness" in addiction, but as you say - it's something we need to accept if we want to move forward.

I think that you are holding your self back though to believe that you are not a "normal" person. There is no such thing as a "normal" person really. You are a very capable person who happens to have an issue with alcohol. You can do anything else you choose in life with the right amount of work, including living a happy and fulfilling life. In that respect think of allergies for example - I have a son with a peanut allergy. He needs to be careful about reading food labels and not eating food if he's not sure, but does that mean he's not a "normal" person? Your body and mind just happens to have a problem with alcohol so you don't drink it, right?