View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Forgot to answer that... I don't think the subject "came up." A lot of people knew I drank, they simply didn't know bad it was. So I had a reputation of sorts. Beyond my wife, no one really knows I'm sober. Sure, some people are starting to figure out something is different, but no real official public announcement was made.

Unfortunately, in some peoples minds, I will always be a drunk. They do not think its possible for an addict to truly have victory. So all of a sudden I'm getting all sorts of "expert" advice on sobriety and beating addiction! Ironic, eh?
Ok, so let's kind of turn this around. When people hear things like this they have two choices. To walk around whispering behind your back OR, although they may seem like jerks they care enough to offer what they know (even if it's just what they THINK they know). They could just trying to be helpful? I'd prefer to have that rather than the "hey, psst psst, didja hear about X?"

Edited to add that yes, they could definitely keep their opinions to themselves. I totally get that. I'd still rather believe that they're trying the best way they know how to help rather than being a common gossip.