Old 10-08-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Physical recovery is often pretty fast in my experience. I have seen people go through the most awful dts and be fighting fit in a week. Just needed some rest and good regular food. They feel so good they go off drinking again.

This is a three pronged illness, physical being only one part. Physical recovery can be quick, but the mental and spiritual aspects are also important if we are to stay well.

In a few days in the hospital I had transformed from a shivering malnourished wreck to some one who felt physically OK. But my mental and spiritual state was well off beam, and this soon made itself felt in the physical sense. My inability to fit in the world, my instinctual fears, my fears about the past and being found out all began to undermine my physical state. Sleepless nights, tossing and turning, stomach churning, days feeling sick with guilt and remorse, fears of facing unesolved issues, my stomach was in knots a lot of the time.

To get and stay well physically required a lot more than good nutrition and exercise. I needed treatment of mind and spirit also.