View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
cejay

Hey JoeyG

If you like exploring that sort of thing you might enjoy some podcasts from "Alchoholism Recovery Radio" and HARMS. Both explore some alternatives and experiences.

I was sober for ~2.5 yrs without AA but drank again. I used AVRT, SR and some other sites for support.
I think I drank again b/c I didn't change enough of my life (no spiritual or personal growth, same homies and parties, no sober friends etc) and drank again "eventually," for a few years before getting serious about quitting again.

I went to AA for the first time ~16 months ago and blogged about it here. At first I went to lots of meetings and looked for ones I felt jived with my own spiritual but also views on recovery. AA saved my life, no question. I needed to go "all in" for ~6 months to really get my new lifestyle to "take hold."
I proceeded to do a lot of work on myself and that work continues today.

Today, I go to 1-2 meetings a week and have coffee with my fellowship 1x. I found a very "non-fundamentalist" group to hang with and that + lots of podcasts and a little SR , AVRT, CBT are my program. I've also made lots of friends in the group who share common interests and we hang out quite a bit.

I knew I didn't want AA to take over my life forever. I wanted desperately to get sober, to build a new life of happiness and friends and AA facilitated that, and if/when I need more it's always there for me.

Keep in mind this isn't advice, merely me talking about my experience. It may not work well for others.

CJ.