View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

There are lots of alternative support groups, and you can get and stay sober forever without ever stepping foot in an AA meeting. But group support of some kind does seem to be critical for many or even most, at least for a while, whether it's face-to-face or online or both.

I stayed sober for the first two months by attending an intensive outpatient program, and followed that with a less-intensive 3 month aftercare program. Meanwhile I attended local Lifering and Smart meetings, and got active in forums and chat rooms. I still facilitate a Freestyle meeting once a week, post here now and then, and check in to a couple HipChat chat rooms. Once in a while I'll attend a medical treatment aftercare group just to check in and say hi. I've attended many AA meetings, but almost all of them were before I got sober, during a period of frequent relapses. I'd have no problem going to one now if I felt I needed support and that was the only option available, but I haven't felt that need in years. Works for me.