Thread: "The Four L's"
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

I've said it before... health problems, and all those other kinds of trouble were there... they were never enough to make me decide to stop drinking. Trouble will come to me even if I quit, even if I stay quit. Example, my gastritis has improved immensely, but maybe I get breast cancer, as I have a strong family history of it. Maybe I get fired for missing too much work due to blackouts, but maybe the small company I work for goes under (it's been having some issues here lately). Maybe my hypothetical husband leaves me because I drink too much, maybe he leaves because my newfound religiousness makes him want to drink, I don't know. Point is, the circumstances of life will always be an up and down roller coaster, no matter how long we stay drunk or sober. And yes, I can not deny that life gets better and problems get smaller when we are sober. But we still have problems. What made me decide to become and stay sober is that I looked in the mirror and didn't know who I was any more. I was not the person I had set out to be. I think it is important to enter in to a recovery program or to take steps towards recovery with the intention of creating a better life, not necessarily of "I'm here cause the court told me I had to go" or "I'm here cause my wife's threatening divorce". Does this make sense to anyone else?