View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Hawk07

There are tons of places to by liquor in the small town I live in unfortunately. I had my pick of about 9 favorites to choose from every week. About 3-4 of them were grocery stores and for some reason if I was at one of those I always felt like I had to buy groceries too even if I was just there for liquor so they wouldn't 'know'I was an alcoholic. My pantries were well stocked with tons of food I didn't need.
One of the most embarrassing incidences was one evening on a bender I ran out early. I still wanted to drink so I figured I'd head to the drug store down the street, the closest one. I walked thankfully. Once I got there it was packed and the line was so long. I picked up a bottle of vodka and stood in line for 10mins at least. I must have reeked of alcohol and I'm sure everyone within 10ft could smell me. Once I finally got to the cashier it was someone new I've never seen before. He looked me straight in the eye and said 'your eyes are bloodshot and you reek of alcohol. I'm not selling this to you'. Meanwhile there's a huge line of people behind me witnessing this. I proceed to argue with him and say something like oh well I've been working at a computer all day so that's why my eyes are red and I've only had 2 beers so this is ridiculous! Let me speak to your manager! Slurring the whole way I'm sure too. Turns out he was the manager and didn't usually work the cashier lines unless they were super busy I guess which is why I'd never seen him. On the threat of the police being called I left. I made a complete fool of myself but didn't even care at the time. Carried on further down the road to a liquor store and bought my bottle of vodka there with no problem. I'm still mortified when I think of it but so thankful I never have to go through something like that again.