Old 09-29-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Optimini

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I remember feeling the same dread about Xmas coming. BUT, not any more. I can't wait. I decided that I had two options. 1. Try to ignore Xmas and be all bah humbug about it. 2. Do PROPER Christmassy things in the run up to Christmas and over Christmas itself. For the last 2 years I've gone for the second option. I've gone to local Christmas fairs, Christmas panto, Carol Services, Advent event at my local church and cathedral. This year I've volunteered to help look after the camels (YES, CAMELS! !!!) at my little cities Xmas light switch on for my churches Living Advent they'll be holding there. I'll also be volunteering for other events and getting that panto ticket booked. If last Christmas was anything to go by, I'll be ready for a rest by Xmas day, but I might help at the Xmas dinner for the elderly and homeless held at the cathedral, as my AA friend did that last year and had a wonderful time.
On Boxing day I intend to visit some family seeing as I get on so much better with my siblings etc now I'm sober and have managed to let go of some childhood resentments that followed me around for several decades. New Years eve will either be an AA party somewhere or snuggle down with a good book and avoid it. That's the one bit I'm not so fussed about.

I can't wait.
Thanks BerryBean, so many great suggestions and very encouraging. You are right, I should also volunteer.