Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Optimini View Post
I was wondering how others here prepare for this upcoming season where even 'normal' people drink alot.
I think that's a misconception/assumption our addiction tries to tell us as well. "Normal people" drink like normal people whether it's the holidays or not. I think the real difference around holidays is that it's more common to have alchol around, but it's still only the alcoholics and problem drinkers that drink too much for the most part.

For me I try to focus on the things that really matter during the holidays - family and togetherness. While there will be alcohol served at many events, it's not really the main focus for most. Alcoholics tend to obsess about it of course, but for most people the alcohol is just another thing that happens to be there - like food or soda. Most of the battles are really just going on inside our heads.

Granted there are certainly some events that I don't take part in at all anymore on the holidays - like hanging out in bars on new years eve. Since the main reason to be at a bar is to drink alcohol, I simply don't go there anymore.