View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

First "pressure"situation...

So I quit about a month ago.. I think a month plus three or four days now. I have not really had any cravings since the first week and was very proud that I rejected them. Even now I am in a house where there is plenty of alcohol to drink. It's not mine, so that's one reason I shouldn't drink it, but I genuinely don't want to. I don't need to.

I'm a home health aide and I had to accompany my 90 year old client to a family wedding. At the reception, her nieces offered to get me drinks, and even my client offered me some of her wine! I said no, thank you (they assume it's because I have to drive their aunt home) And then we sat down and there was champagne in front of me. I pushed it away. I had nothing but water and coffee. And though I had to hold her wine for her and it smelled delicious, I still did not truly WANT to drink.

It was my first "pressure" situation where I was surrounded by booze and people enjoying it, where there was nothing stopping me from having "just one glass" because after all I was having dinner and coffee before driving, so what was the harm. No, none of that. No justifying it because it was a party. And no feeling bad about it and no obsessive focusing on it. I was relaxed and able to be social (I really like my client's great big Italian family with a few Irish thrown in lol) I had a real nice time... even though later, after I'd gone to bed, my dinner protested... At least that wasn't alcohol related!!

I was also able to observe with clear eyes the way other people behave when they get drunk. Oh, boy. A few of the men were talking WAY, WAY too much and said some inappropriate things. My date and I left right after dinner, had a couple cookies, didn't stay for cake. She was up past her bedtime, and now that I've quit drinking, it was getting pretty close to mine as well! So we left even before people hit the dance floor and I imagine that was just in time.. people were already starting to get sloppy.

So that was fun and educational