View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Whatever works for you.

When I entered my final round of outpatient treatment, after many months of failures, my goal initially was to just get through the 2 month program and re-evaluate. Not stop forever, forever was too far off, but just make it through the program without tripping yet again.

Within a couple weeks, I moved the goal post back. Now it was, stay sober through the program and for at least another couple months, until after my birthday.

Within another couple weeks, it was, stay sober through the summer (another 6 months later), and then re-evaluate.

But that didn't last long at all, and by the time I was a 4-6 weeks sober I was committed to staying sober indefinitely. And that's how I look at it now, six years later. I don't say, I will never ever drink again, because I can't predict how I'll feel 20 years down the road and because the guilt of making such a promise and then breaking it could be huge given my past history of making such promises and breaking them. But I have no wish at all to drink, I don't miss it or long for it, and increasingly I look at it like I look at weed or cocaine (drugs I quit decades ago) - a dumb thing I used to do long ago, that I've moved beyond and kinda look down my nose at now.

There's a balance, I think, between not getting hung up on the forever trip and bringing your horizons in closer, and making too many short-term goals that leave you longing for finally making it to the goal post and giving yourself permission to drink again.