Thread: Try again, aye?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DolAndel

Try again, aye?

I am going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to sober up. Day 1 again for maybe the 20th time. I do have the luxury of a great wife and a career that I can put on hold for a little bit. Not having either one of those two things would make this considerably more challenging. I plan on focusing primarily on alcohol for this first week, week two I’ll work on smoking less weed. It seems like staggering the two a bit might make it easier as long as I don’t compensate in my weed smoking this first week.

I was hoping not to annoy my wife during this period but it is surly hard for her to get a good night’s sleep when I’m rolling in circles in a cold sweat for 5 hours a night. Even my dog’s sleeping/feeding/walking schedule is now ****** up. I’m kinda getting first day fatigue, which is probably a good reason to work on this now.

In my case drinking has usually been about reducing the stress of my job. Some people are heavily self-defined by their careers and I’m probably one of those people. I’ve been a professional guitarist since I was 10 years old (I’m 32). By the time I was a teenager the fans were eagerly unpacking the party all around me. Even the bartenders would hand me shots out the back door while I was on break. To this day the majority of my gigs are in drinking establishments and many of my friends are brewers. It is going to be damn near impossible to navigate my occupational environment unless I’m completely sober. For example, just last week someone came to my gig (at a brewery that was giving me beer) and tipped me with 3 grams of homegrown kindbud. I have worked hard for over 20 years to get to the point that I can lead bands or play entire gigs alone, but either will be unsustainable without an abundance of clarity at this point. I feel a profound duty to go down with my ship if it comes to that. A good captain would probably just sober-the-****-up! :-) I shall try again. It would be nice to get some good sleep. Good luck, folks. Thanks.