Thread: Antabuse?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
August252015

From my experience:
Once I was ready to do all the things you describe- to stop drinking permanently and begin a very strong AA program, it was the right time for me to take Antabuse the CORRECT way. Previously, I used it sometimes, I skipped doses sometimes, I drank on it, and I got away with it. Horrible things could have happen so I am lucky- I wouldn't suggest playing with this stuff as I did. It is a superb medicine as one recovery tool when used correctly.

I took it for 90 days and my dr had me keep a sheaf of papers lined so that every day, I signed and dated and noted time I took it, and a witness signed it. Every day. It became a no brainer and it was perfect for me. In regard to the comment about possible liver impact - my dr decided that the benefit of using Antabuse as one of my sobriety tools outweighed this risk; I was on the brink of cirrhosis and she still felt it was better to use it. My liver functions were all completely normal by about 100 days; she has asked if I would want to take it again if I think I need it now that I work in a restaurant. I don't, but am open to it if she decides I should and wouldn't worry about liver impact. Another reason why a good dr and talking with him/her is key.

I was also on Campral, and still am. I have had zero - in complete honesty, zero- cravings in 7mos (and 1 day). Whether that's because my problem was immediately removed or not, or I was just so sick at the beginning that my body couldn't even contemplate putting alcohol in it, or because the Campral has worked splendidly, I don't care. My dr plans for me to stay on my 3x/day plan indefinitely.

IMO, good meds exist and are there to help us, when good drs prescribe them thoughtfully and in conjunction with all of our medications and care needs.

Good luck. Talk to you doctor and work out a plan.