View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
But last year, when the prescription ended as I tapered off the hydrocodone prescribed for the kidney recovery, I Recognized a quite profound sadness at not being able to "get that euphoric feeling" any more. There IT was, after so many years: full blown in all ITs ugly glory.
It's amazing, no? The Beast never really dies, it just lays dormant until something wakes it up.

My family had similar concerns regarding the opioid epidemic, and my alleged "addictive personality," etc. The doctors and nurses were in favor of pain management, and said to take them on schedule. I tended to agree with them, since I never had any prior problems with opioids.

In the end, I didn't want to fight with my family or make them nervous, so I even though I had three surgeries in a week, I only took the opiod pain meds for a couple weeks as needed once I was discharged from the hospital. After that, I switched to "regular" analgesics, which are not quite as potent, but so bet it.

I didn't use the prescribed meds long enough to become dependent or addicted, and I don't know if I would have, though I imagine I might have become at least dependent if enough time had gone by. The problem with opiods is the side effect they have (that euphoric feeling), which the Beast will inevitably love.

The best course, I believe, is to take the minimum amount that is necessary to make one comfortable, or to take the edge off the pain, and to discontinue use as soon as possible. Of course, the doctors can't really know for sure what the minimum amount required is for everyone unless the patient is honest about how much pain they are really feeling.

For now, I am doing without the pain killers. I am not moving around very much, but I have to wonder if I will be able to tolerate the physical therapy without them if/when that becomes necessary later on down the line, or if some of these fractures don't heal.