View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EventHorizons

That point is well taken Dee! It's funny you should mention that. I was reading about magnesium today and melatonin. The list of symptoms for magnesium deficiency very closely resemble the list of symptoms for magnesium overdose.

Melatonin is much the same way- it's supposed to help with sleep, and supposedly heart health and so on, but other studies suggest it may accomplish sleep by causing constriction of the blood vessels, and may cause heart palpitations.

It's sad really if you think about it. It really feels like sometimes you're stuck between the well meaning do-gooders who just want to "heal you naturally" and power the world on puppies and rainbows (but unfortunately don't really understand nutrition and biology better than the average person), and the snake-oil salesmen who just want to sell you the latest hot thing to help (but unfortunately don't actually care if it helps you or harms you.) It's an interesting conundrum if you really want to help your body, but have no one, or no real source of information, to turn to for guidance.

I know that quitting is going to be a real challenge, but I feel like sometimes, if we could get a few simple things back functioning properly, maybe it would make the rest of the journey more bearable. For me, sleeping would be a huge step in the right direction. Maybe it's just wishful thinking... maybe I'm rambling.

EH