Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

I was physically and sexual abused by my father and consistently bullied growing up (my mother, meanwhile, still thinks I'm socially reserved because I'm a snob and cautious about sex because I'm a prude, but I digress)

I read a really great book written by a survivor of childhood abuse, Living Beyond Your Feelings, by Joyce Myer.
It is based on Biblical teaching, and it has really helped me to learn that a) I am loved and worthy of love, despite the ways that other hurting people have hurt me, and b) I am in full control of my emotions and can decide how I want to feel and for how long and how I respond in any emotional situation. It's been a big help to me in my first month of sobriety, because emotional stress is a big drinking trigger, I always drank to numb my feelings.
I am realizing now that when I am emotionally exhausted (like on weekends, after I work two 12 hour shifts back to back) those past traumas come up and try to drag me down to a dark place. I'm currently looking for a therapist, but I am afraid because I have had therapists in the past who heard my story and actually said "Wow. that's a lot, I don't really know what to say."