View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

My #1 is No Drinking no matter what happens in my life, good or bad. It is the #1 rule, not sure if that's a tool, but it seems to keep me grounded firmly.

SR! That is my #2 support in recovery. Reading and posting. Keeping in touch with friends. Being inspired. Helping others. Remembering how it was, as I read the newbies struggling. Fresh reminders. They are excellent deterrents.

Regular exercise. So important for mood balancing and overall health. I run, walk, exercise bike, and occasionally kayak.

Eating fairly healthy with treats. No deprivation. No funky, restrictive diets for me anymore. Moderation of treats with a focus on mostly whole foods, some convenience foods do work their way in, but I go for overall balance. Plenty of seltzer drinks, tea, coffee, ginger beer, juice, whatever else I want to try that looks good.

The occasional recovery related devotional reading or recovery book. I spent the first two years reading tons of recovery books, so I kind of digested all I need as far as that goes, but I do have a couple of favorite devotionals. They are both on my iPad and I have physical copies.

Writing, gardening, my beagles, and reading. That's mostly what I do instead of drink.

And for the odd, occasional craving I use 'play the tape.' It is a powerful tool.