View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Gloria Steinem is very intelligent, and has tons of life experience (she is now in her 80s), remains open-minded, curious, and is so widely read. I find her fascinating, SW. She is just full of information, and the way she pulls it all together, the connections she makes ... I think that's her genius. I also can really appreciate how she went from being a quiet, introverted writer/journalist to this dynamic personable, public speaker and organizer of groups. It is inspirational. Watching her speak, I can still see that she's an introvert and an intellectual, but she still makes a very interesting speaker, I think. Also fascinating to read how traveling made her who she is, how the act of travel itself, forcing you to live in the present, and allowing you to cross paths with people you wouldn't ordinarily ... changes you.

Saramago is a Nobel Prize winner, btw. I was hugely impressed with All the Names. If you do recommend to Mrs. SW, maybe start with that one. I haven't finished this other one yet, and am still not sure about it.