View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

AXH lied constantly towards the end of our living together. And it got worse after I left. I think I posted on SR before that I didn't think he could tell the truth if it climbed into his mouth and tried to jump out. (I still think that but I don't have to deal with it directly anymore.)

He'd lie about big things that any sane person would realize would come out eventually. ("No. I didn't overdraw the bank account. You must have." Only to have the bank pull up a copy of a cancelled check for thousands written by him...) And he'd lie about the stupidest stuff. Stuff that wouldn't have made me upset either way; stuff I didn't even ask about; stuff I would have never, ever known about had he not said anything.

I thought maybe the alcohol was just getting to his memory. And it might have on some of the things he'd lie about, but for the most part, that wasn't really the case. He was able to keep his lies straight and remember how they'd impact other parts of his stories. I really think he just thought everyone else was too slow to catch them. That might be more of a personality thing rather than an alcoholic thing. IDK.