View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
August252015

So you must have a dr/psychiatrist who is prescribing the meds you mention. I have the same, and the honesty I have with my dr and my complete trust in her prescribed course for me, in terms of medicine, are key to my program.

In my case: I had a dx while drinking (that's key) of BPD, and while I am certainly on the spectrum, now that I am sober...that may not be the correct one. However, the meds she had me on, she is keeping me on- lamictal(2 pills/1x a day); seroquel to sleep (nightly or as needed), campral for cravings , (3x daily) and lorazepam for anxiety (daily or as needed- I am taking it less now as my skills to cope with my anxiety/excitability get sharper). This combination works perfectly for me now, as I close in on 7mo sober. I took Antabuse for the first 90 days. It is a serious drug that some drs have patients come to the office to take daily; mine had me keep a log with me and sign the date, time, as well as have a witness signature every single day. It just became routine. We decided I didn't need it after that, but I will always be open to her recommendation I take it again if needed. KEY here is that a good dr supervises your complete combination/regimen of meds. IME and also of some people close to me, when this gets "off" or we misuse/don't follow the directions given, they won't work and can likely cause harm.

Many of us have a cluster of legitimate dx; many of us also find that with sobriety some or all of these can change, or even be resolved. It is entirely possible to live a healthy, sober, good life if you have issues that need medical attention on an ongoing basis, or a forever basis.

One step at a time. Talk to you doctor and develop a plan. Then follow it. Do the same with the part of the plan specific to sobriety. You can do it.