Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acheleus

Do not be afraid to stand up for yourself!

If you were like me you may have consumed alcohol to forget about your problems, to put responsibilities off for one more day, to not rock the boat and just "escape" for a little while.

Well I quit drinking and I have finally--after 14 months of recovery--come to realize that I have to stand up and take responsibility for my own life.

My relationship sucks and is detrimental to my sobriety? I need to stand up for myself, set clear boundaries, and resolve to end the relationship if that is necessary.

I don't like smoking? Well I need to formulate a plan and quit.

And so on.

I have learned ( even though I am very stubborn and it takes me a long time to learn anything) that I have to stand up for myself and not allow people to hurt me. I'm not hurting myself with alcohol any longer but I have let people hurt me in my sobriety.

Maybe people can relate to this or not but, for me, recognizing my own "half assness" about standing up for myself is clearing away a lot of remorse, self-pity, and moping.

NO more moping! Make changes and grow. This is what I tell myself every day. So I went on a long walk/jog and played the piano. At home I read a recovery book I want to recommend. It is called Out of The Wreck I Riseand it is great. Look it up.