View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Delizadee

Their nervous centres have become a sluice-way pathologically unlocked by every passing conception of a bottle and a glass. They do not thirst for the beverage; the taste of it may even appear repugnant; and they perfectly foresee the morrow's remorse. But when they think of the liquor or see it, they find themselves preparing to drink, and do not stop themselves: and more than this they cannot say. <...> The hysterical temperament is the playground*par excellence*of this unstable equilibrium. One of these subjects will be filled with what seems the most genuine and settled aversion to a certain line of conduct, and the very next*instant follow the stirring of temptation and plunge in it up to the neck.
Very interesting, describes not only my powerlessness over alcohol but this is also completely true for me over food. I have cause myself grave emotional and physical pain, and yet I just don't know how to stop one without the other overcoming it, the feelings, impulses and mechanisms of thought are all the same for me. I cannot rationalize either one way.