View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jch116

Just wanted to say thank you

I just wanted to say hi after being mostly a lurker here. I have been a relapsing alcoholic for the better part of my life, and my last period of sobriety was 4 years ago. It ended when my son overdosed and spent a year in a nursing home before he passed away. My husband and I adopted his son who is the love of our lives and a great kid. I started drinking again to cope with grief and depression. I never wanted to leave my house. I am coping better with the grief these days thanks to some awesome supportive friends. I've always been a functioning alcoholic but I am getting older and the hangovers are getting worse. My grandson deserves much better than to have a parent who makes sure she has two nights a week to get wasted and then spends half of the next day in a fog. I am struggling staying sober and have been reading here like crazy and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me to stay sober so far this weekend. I see myself in so many posts. I have read that so many of you suggest attending AA and I have finally found the courage to ask my neighbor, who is a great guy and attends regularly , to take me with him to his next meeting. I have been terrified for some reason to go, I know it makes no sense and I wish I understood why I felt this way. I know I am an alcoholic. I've gotten to the place where I will do anything to quit drinking, even dealing with the overwhelming anxiety I feel at the thought of walking through the door of a meeting. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to all! Wish me luck!