Old 09-07-2016, 01:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ChiefBromden

Thanks for the replies, very interesting. GnikNus, you know exactly what scenes I was talking about!

Mind you, the feeling was very fleeting, say 5 seconds. Which is quite different from the real thing, which seemed eternal.

I have no problem with being around "normal" drinking - my wife is a normie and I decided very early on that I didn't want her to change her ways. It was particularly a reaction (and yes, there is a part of empathy there as well, even though it's just TV) to the kind of drinking that you know will hurt like hell, that will make a terrible situation even more terrible.

In this case the mood was already full of doom of the senseless killings, the cruelty, the corruption. Adding loads of alcohol to that... I could just feel the nightmare that would become a short while later. And you can't drink like that repeatedly and not expect to become an alcoholic at one point.

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I'm 30 days sober. The commercials of people having a great time drinking is a trigger for me. It doesn't last long but it's still there. I try and remember the last time I drank and had a hangover for 2 days after and that does help with the cravings. I'm getting there. ��
30 days is awesome, but just to be clear, I surely wasn't experiencing this at that stage. Like for you, for me it was a trigger, pretty much through the first few months. A trigger I tried to avoid as much as possible, but without expecting to be totally isolated from them (as that's impossible). I learned to ... ignore it is the best word. Like that stain on the carpet, or the ugly chair, you kinda "zone it out" and stop seeing it.

It's a process that gets easier - right now you are doing the hard work. I was just happy to notice that after this time (4 years and a bit) I seem to instinctively recoil from certain kind of images that touch the core of my addiction. Clearly not everyone experiences this, so please don't think of it as "failing" if you don't in the future.

And like zjw, I don't have that reaction in other situations, like seeing the "cold beer on a hot day" ones, probably because beer wasn't my drug of choice (like hard liquor for him) at all. There I still need to catch myself and go "wait a minute!". Nothing I would call a "craving", but proof enough I'll always need to keep an eye on my addictive self.