Old 09-01-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
But it doesn't "feel the same" as the love I had for my ex. Does this make sense to anyone? Can anyone relate? Am I just inevitably never going to feel that way again? Have I been hurt so tremendously that "my walls" are preventing me from fully loving J?
So the relationship with my AXGF was fueled by a lot of really good sex and just as many bad arguments.

The relationship I currently have with my girlfriend is fueled by deep mutual respect, compassion, understanding, a shared set of values, a healthy amount of lust, and open communication. And mind you, I write this as a 47 year old man.

My priorities have changed in the years since my AXGF and I broke up. Neither my girlfriend nor myself would waste each other's time if we didn't believe we were built for the long haul. There's no drama with us. I have her back, and she has mine. Is it the same kind of reckless, passionate love I experienced in my twenties? F**k no, and that's because in my twenties, I didn't full appreciate what love really meant. I do now, and I've never been so content with another woman as I have with my girlfriend. Are we passionate about each other? Do we desire each other? Absolutely. But what's important is the foundation we've built, and that's what's going to support us going forward.

Hope this helps.