View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
This hasn't been my experience, at least not in comparison to whom and what I used to be. I think a whole lot of dreams end with "easier said than done." In fact, I take the expression as a challenge, rather than a reason to either search for an easier, less fulfilling alternative, or do nothing at all. Anything I've achieved in life of any value to me required hard work and doing plenty of things I'd rather not do. In the long run, it's always been much more difficult for me -- and depleting -- to argue with my own thinking around how I'm not smart enough, experienced enough, likeable enough or good enough to pursue my dreams and desires than is the doing part.

The concept of an AV, for example, is, for me, the manifestation of a mind arguing against itself, with a decided focus on assumed or obvious weaknesses. Rather than wasting time assigning blame or arguing against my better self, I've trained myself to take risks rather than suffer the regret of not trying. If I'm committed to making progress, then there is no better way for me to start than to work with my strengths. When I haven't made that commitment, then my greatest strength is making excuses.

Although I have little or no control over many things in the world (I ride the subway a lot ), that doesn't excuse me or disqualify me from doing what I need to do improve my life and that of those I love, or to make smaller parts of the world a better place to live,

For me, one of the requirements of Existence is to never confuse activity with progress, and to never confuse acceptance with passivity.
I agree with everything you said, but it doesn't take into account the benefits of self-pity. Caring people rush to your side, reinforcing the self-pitier that their miserable life has nothing to do with their actions or inactions and not much can be done because they are doomed to a life of misery. IMHO, it just reinforces staying stuck and not doing anything to make things better. I think self-pity is a drug and very addictive. When you think of it, all the symptoms of someone addictive to alcohol or drugs shows up with people addictive to self-pity. John