View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Mr. David, I agree with a lot of what you have to say. AA just is not a friendly place for many people. I have experienced it myself and seen others have to deal with it. Despite what some hard core AA'ers say, it's a closed community only accesable to those that play in lock step to their beliefs, and those that are acc epted benefit a lot from it. And their are many stories that attest to that. There's nothing wrong with that. I just feel sorry for the people that are desperate to connect with other alcoholics only to be turned away or ignored. I have a lot of respect for AA cause it has helped many people change their lives for the better, but unfortunately because of it's hard line approach has left many people that are suffering looking for support in a way they can connect with. Luckily, there are many other programs that people can get involved in that fit their thinking and personal needs. In the past, many people have probably died because they weren't accepted in the AA community because they saw things differently. Not AA's fault. Hard cord AA people stick to what worked for them, not realizing that their way doesn't fit everybody. Sadly, they are willing to stick to their guns and indirectly continue to be part of the problem. I'm sure their are no statistics, but it's safe to say people have died because of AA's insistance on a one size fits all attitude that helps many, but alienates other people. No, I don't consider AA as a cult, but in order to get the most out of it, you have to believe what they believe. Might not be a cult, but it comes pretty close to being a religion. Believe in what I believe and you will be saved. Who knows; maybe they are right. For me, a structured program means eliminating others' points of view. Doesn't work for me but wish it did. John