Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
George89

the real work truly starts after sobriety

I just wanted to share this realization I had this weekend where I was sober. Whilst many of you already know and have experienced, I realized that stopping drinking (and drugs) is not the whole story. That's just the beginning!

Once we clear away the distraction of addiction, we are truly left with ourselves, and I think it's incredibly rewarding to begin to see what and who we are and peel back the layers.

With alcohol, I only realized how it has been such a crutch for me especially on the weekends. This weekend, I went to a barbecue and without drinking, it felt like turning up to a gun fight at the ok coral with a flower. It did feel like I had no armor, that I could take nothing to 'protect' me or 'cover' me up, or make me feel good chemically. It was just me as I was, and it was so interesting to observe how I felt in the social situation at first.

I also thought, this is how real confidence is built ! By getting used to being you, the natural version of you. It truly feels like we have to get to know ourselves from scratch and I've heard that before from people recovering, that we have to get to know the new us.

It's amazing how alcohol keeps so many in a perpetual funk..without clarity of mind and without good energy and awareness that comes with sobriety, it's so much harder to heal what is inside us and transform ourselves as people..

Grateful and excited to get to know me