View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Yours Truly

I don't remember specifically now what it was that I was posting about, but it was something off-topic. I think it was something related to gardening.

As my body grows increasingly weary of periods, I started developing premenstrual migraines a couple of years ago. I felt one coming on this morning. I'm tired of thinking about my Dad.

The Topamax usually does a pretty good job of keeping the migraines from getting too bad. Sometimes extreme stress brings the migraines on too. My neurologist prescribed Imitrex for anything the Topamax can't take care of but I haven't taken it yet. I don't like taking excessive medications. Usually half of an Excedrin will knock them out - no more than that because I'm caffeine intolerant.

Anyway, yeah. . . .I know when it's time to take a break. I'm sitting on the back patio with my laptop watching my big beautiful bamboo swaying in the wind. It was a scrawny little thing when I picked it up from Walmart this past March in a 1 gallon bucket. It was a whole 15 bucks. I recently transplanted it to a 24" concrete pot. It's humongous.

The monarch butterfly population is dwindling, so earlier this spring I ordered some milkweed plants from livemonarch.com. I received 6 plants. They came in a small flat-rate box, and now they are all big enough to support plenty of caterpillars. A lot of the flowers are in bloom and the hummingbirds are inspecting them for nectar.

Lots and lots of birds in the backyard. I crafted a big bird feeder using a large 18" baking pan that is 3" deep. I drilled 3 holes in the sides and hung it up under a small gazebo that has substituted as a sort of bird sanctuary. All kinds of birds use it and it can fit at least 3 doves and plenty of finches and sparrows all at the same time.

I have a lot of wildflowers. All of the flowers I have I started from seed. At this time of year it's getting tedious dragging the hose around. I plan to do things differently next year. I live on the West Coast now in a drought climate, and so I feel guilty every time I water. It's been a challenge keeping things alive, too. Temps have been in the triple digits for almost two months and plants have been taking a real beating. Wildfires have been raging. About a month ago it was snowing ashes in the backyard.

My sunflowers have had it. I've got to cut those down. Those will start dropping seed and I won't be doing those again next year. They're the branching type and require tons of water.

I have a have a Norfolk Pine that I bought around Christmas of last year and it is my favorite of all. Near the back of the yard there is a tiny woodsy area with a pine tree and a greenman that I attached to it and a little cairn that I constructed and some wind chimes. It's very druidish. My little Norfolk Pine is so happy. It's grown quite a bit, actually, and I guess comes up to my waist now.

I like late 60's, early 70's hippie music which is my favorite genre. Kind of early for my generation. Which generation came before Generation X? Baby boomer? That makes me feel so old already. Well, I like that music and early 90's music which was the peak of my generation and a spinoff of late 60's and early 70's. I recently found a rare, live video on YouTube of Neil Young playing Heart of Gold. I love it so much. I'll post a link and the lyrics too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44...FE079&index=70

I want to live,
I want to give
I've been a miner
for a heart of gold
It's these expressions
I never give
That keep me searching
for a heart of gold
And I'm getting old
Keeps me searching
for a heart of gold