View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
August252015

I don't have triggers to DRINK.

I have some triggers for EMOTIONAL un-sobriety - when I feel excitable (big one), restless, or vaguely "something" it's usually because I am not accepting something, someone, or some situation as how it is supposed to be at the time. It's not what I want (hey, ego). This is the kind of stuff I have to be vigilant about. When I am drifting into (or, ahem, sometimes tearing towards) this kind of mental mess, some things I do....

Send myself to be early. Did this on Tu night by turning off all my electronics and taking my sleeping pill early.
Take my anti anx med; I am taking it less as I am putting better practical tools into place for handling life, but I use it because it is meant to be used as one of those tools. Especially, with that excitability feeling again- I know when that kind of thing is beginning so often, depending on what I've got on immediate deck (ie, I walk into the restaurant for a shift and it is chaos, and I've got 10 hrs ahead of me).
Call my sponsor and/or bf.
Go to a meeting.
Pull up all the positive quotes I keep on my phone, and see what jumps out at me and is most needed at that moment.
Talk out loud - I did this, for example, as I walked the dog on Wed am. I talked through the literal breakdown of steps to deal with the things at hand and which parts were bothering me.

Pray, always pray.

I can usually "right myself" pretty quickly. This week, I had a longer "ugh" than i normally do, but kept trying the above - and I have been practicing just "sitting" within discomfort- and reminding myself I can only do my part to make it pass.