View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

Congrats on 8 months. I give AA most of the credit for my sobriety. I am going at it without a sponsor, just my personal choice. I got a sponsor, it failed miserably, and I had my relapse from hell after he left me hanging in the middle of my 5th step. I tried another sponsor and just did not like 'his' rules, and each sponsor has their own rules. I am not saying sponsors are bad, just not for me. But many in our group do not have sponsors, but we have a pretty large group. Then again, I have no friends in AA, I go to listen, sometimes share, and I just am not one to hang with people in general, so what you are experiencing may happen in our meeting too, I wouldn't know, and I don't care. But if you are uncomfortable at that meeting now, there are usually other meetings you can check out.

Don't let those people get to you.

AA keeps me in touch especially when I am feeling really good or not so good. My early relapses usually happened when I felt on top of the world, and felt entitled and deserving of a drink, and maybe that I really was not an alcoholic. I learned over time how this is pretty common. Maybe a sponsor could have helped me through those times.

Also, you can get a temporary sponsor if you want. There are no rules to having a sponsor, each sponsor has their own way, not all are right or wrong for any one person.