View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Db1105

Originally Posted by Timmy1028 View Post
I've been sober for eight months now. And after my last relapse, I decided to try to do it right and start to participate in AA.

Never having been to Alcoholics Anonymous before, I did not know what to expect. What I found was a lot of people who understood me and we're very welcoming. I found a lot of great advice and good suggestions.

However, I haven't taken some people suggestions as far as how to run my program. Four instance - and I know some of you will cringe and want to lecture me - I don't have a sponsor yet. I'm not opposed to it, I'm just doing really really really well and I'm so happy, I just don't want to yet.

Well, some of the "group gurus" have a really all but stopped talking to me because they know this.

It said time and time again, and it's in writing, that the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking.

It just really really agitates me. There is a fine line between giving good advice, and being self-righteous.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
Congratulations on your 8 months. If the group guru's stopped talking to you, so what? It's their loss, and if that's the way they act, you're not missing anything. Keep doing what you're doing. The bottom line is 12 sStep programs work by working the 12 Steps.