View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
Thanks for this post. I also battle with AA. I do have a sponsor who is very nice but more interested in catching up on gossip with friends at our step work meetings. I religiously completed the first set of questions after our first meeting and she has not looked at one answer yet. At the actual AA meetings we have the same old timers telling the same old stories of their drunken days over and over every week. No substance for a newcomer like me. Having said that I am 99 days sober so perhaps just attending does the trick.
Have you tried some different meetings? The ones you're going to don't sound very solution focussed. I've been to some like that and didn't find them massively helpful in the long term. Big Book study or 12 and 12 study meetings or similar are often good because there is a specific focus, and people can't just drift back to their war stories . They also really, massively helped me to get my head round the step work.

Have you asked your sponsor to look at your written step work? It might need some prompting if she's that laid back. I suppose their job is to guide us, not chivvy us along, so perhaps she doesn't want to hassle you. Thing is, if you've done step 1, there is little to be gained by hanging around for step 2 &3 etc. Not unless the sponsee is actually struggling with conceding to their alcoholic status and the unmanageability the alcoholic drinking brings to their life. If you were choosing a sponsor now, would you still choose her?