View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I avoided AA like the plague for the 28 years I was in active alcoholism. I either had contempt prior to investigation, or was convinced I'd investigated it all I needed to. Even after I'd failed at everything else I tried to stay sober, I went into AA, consciously or unconsciously, looking for confirmation that it wasn't for me. Was I wrong that AA and it's members have faults that I, if I wanted to, could use to dismiss the program altogether? Sure. Just like with any other group of humans (even SR), you're going to find people who offend you, rub you the wrong way, and irritate you. If you're like most alcoholics, that isn't too difficult to find. But if you overlook those faults - we all have them - you may find that not only are those people a lot like you, but you may also learn some things about yourself in the process.

When I first started in AA, I was sober for about 3 months. I did get a sponsor and was going through the motions of working the steps. When I relapsed, I did it in style. I totaled my car and broke my neck. When I went back to my home group meeting, I was in a neck brace, eyes blackened, and a big scab that covered about 1/3 of my head. I noticed right away that some people were standoffish. Some who had been friendly with me before would barely even look at me. That hurt a lot and I felt rejected. Was it right for them to act that way toward me? Maybe not. Can I understand why they did? If I try seeing from their perspective, yes I can.

But I decided I wanted to get and stay sober more than I wanted to make friends. At 16 months sober, I do have friends in AA. It took some time to cultivate those friendships, just like it does with most human interaction. I urge you to not give up on the program if you are finding that it is helping. Don't expect perfection out of anyone, least of all yourself. "Progress, not perfection."